Saturday, December 17, 2011

Genuine windows 7 validation?

Hello everyone, it's winters again :-)


I have an OEM install of Windows 7 Home Premium on a HP Probook 4530s.


I get regular windows updates online, and it says 'windows is activated' in system properties.


Didn't reinstall after purchase, it's about 6 months old now.


But eventually I'd surely need to reinstall some day. The computer didn't come with a windows DVD. I downloaded an iso of windows 7 home premium SP1 from the ms website and burned my own. I have a serial number in this "Microsoft certificate of authenticity" sticker up the battery bay. So then, I was wondering if I could get windows 7 activated online if I reinstall using the DVD I burned and the serial number that came with the computer?


And this other day, i thought of trying out the microsoft security essentials app, the download said I'd need to run some validation check before they'd let me, and i backed off. What's this validation check? Could it possibly deactivate my perfectly working copy of windows 7?


I hate calling microsoft up and listenin to that b***h on the IVR. I've had activation issues with XP in the past.|||Your OEM product key will not work with a downloaded version of Win 7. It works only with the OEM version that came on your computer.





The validation check for MSE is to verify that your Win7 is legit. If you are legit then you have nothing to worry about.|||Actually you CAN use a downloaded win7 with your OEM license. (i have done it).


The OEM license is linked to the motherboard of that computer, so you cant use that code on a different computer. You need need the same copy of windows (windows 7 home premium) to match what you have the license for.


BUT what im not sure of is if that code will work for the win7 home + SP1, you may have to get it w/o the SP1.





As for the other question, no it wont deactivate your windows if its legit. Just to use the MS software, it makes sure you are using a legit copy of windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment